What would it do for you to have more fun at work? What if your mad-scramble mornings started a half-hour earlier, but were merry and you drove off to your office with a smile on your face?
Our neighbors have banded together to take our kids to school every morning. The parent in charge that morning texts us all around 7:30 a.m. proposing the method of kid transport for that day. Biking is a treat. We generally reserve it for 2+ parent days. On sunny one-parent days, the kids walk. All of the children and the lucky chaperone arrive at school with a little extra pep in their step. Everyone scatters knowing that we’ll reconnect the next morning.
Whenever I can squeeze in time to accompany our merry troop, I start work with extra energy. I love these short jaunts. Connecting with my friends in this way is the essence of life.
My challenge to you would be to shift your days a bit to allow in a tad more laughter or fun. Make more connections. Play a little more every day.
IDEAS FOR FUN:
- Meet someone for breakfast or lunch at least twice a week.
- Have a weekly office potluck or cook-off.
- Shop for groceries on Friday evening, on your way home from work, to free up time for a Sunday afternoon hike or dinner with friends.
- Buy your produce at a farmer’s market instead of the store.
- Have a monthly neighborhood potluck.
- Walk, bike or skate to work.